Usually to format a USB Flash Drive on a Windows computer, just right click on the USB drive connected on your computer and select Format to start the USB formar process.
However, in some cases when the USB format, many users reflect that they do not format the USB and on the screen appears error message “Windows was unable to complete the format” during the format.
In the article below I will guide you 4 simple ways to fix this during USB formatting.
1. Format the USB Flash Drive to another file format
Formatting a USB Flash Drive to another file format is the simplest way to fix the problem. To format a USB flash drive
Drive to another format you follow the steps below:
– First plug the USB drive into your computer, then right click on the connected USB drive, select Format.
– On the next window, in File System you change the format of FAT 32 to NTFS or other format.
– Next go to Quick Format option, then click the Format button.
Finally check whether the error “windows was unable to complete the format” has been fixed or not.
2. Use CMD to format USB Flash Drive
First plug the USB Flash Drive or Pen Drive into your computer.
The next step is to check if your USB thumb drive has appeared.
Then press Windows + R to open the Run command, then type cmd into it and press Enter.
At this point, the Command Prompt window appears, where you enter the following command and then press Enter:
format /q /x H:
Note: The above command replaces H with your USB thumb drive.
At this screen, the message “Insert new disk for drive H:” and press ENTER when ready … “.
Your task is to press Enter to start the process of formatting a USB Flash drive or Pen drive.
Wait until the process is 100% complete.
At this point, the message “Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT) …” appears. The volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? This means that the formatting process is 100% complete and waiting for confirmation.
Press Enter again. Once the USB or Pen Drive format finishes, you will see the message as shown below:
3. Use Disk Management to format the USB Flash Drive
Sometimes, in some cases, users can use the Disk Management formatted USB Flash Drive to troubleshoot the problem.
– First plug your USB drive into the computer.
– Right-click on the Computer icon and select Manage.
– The Computer Management window appears.
– Here you select Disk Management in the left pane. Now in the right pane you will see a list of USB drives connected to the computer and the hard drive partition.
– Right-click your USB Flash Drive and select Format.
– The Format USB Flash Drive window appears, where you change the FAT 32 format to NTFS or exFAT and uncheck the Perform a quick format option and click OK.
4. Use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format the USB Flash Drive
If you have applied the above solutions and still do not fix the error, then you can ask for help from a third party is to use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format the USB Flash Drive.
– Firstly download the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and install.
Download the HP Disk Storage Format Tool and install it here.
– If the USB Disk Storage Format Tool is not running, open the tool by right-clicking it and selecting Run as administrator.
– Finally, click the Start button to start the formatting process.