If you encounter error 80070422 while downloading Windows update, you need to change the service settings of Windows Update and re-enable the service.
However, if this does not work try the second way.
Option 2 : Change or re-enable the Windows Update service .
You are locked out of the system logon as an administrator to run this step. Therefore, you need:
- Open Administrative Tools: Open Control Panel in administrative tools and select Administrative Tools .
- Open Servies (left click twice). (Enter password or confirm administrator rights if required).
- In the Name column , look for the Windows Update service name and right- click it to open Properties .
- On the General tab , navigate to Startup type and change the status to Automatic .
- In Service Status , verify that the request has run. If not, select Start , enter the password or confirm administrative rights if required.
* This method is applicable to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.
Use the built-in Windows Update Troubleshooter functionality, which fixes some issues with Windows updates and also resolves this issue for you.
Open Administrative Tools
In the Name column, look for the Windows Update service name and right-click it to open Properties.