Service host superfetch data so that it can be immediately launched to your application. Sometimes this can affect the performance of some applications. It tends not to work well with gaming PCs, but can improve performance with business applications.
What is Superfetch Windows 10?
Superfetch is a technology that allows Windows to manage the amount of random access memory in the machine and help it operate more efficiently. Superfetch is part of Windows memory manager; A less functional version, called Prefetcher, is included with Windows XP. Superfetch tries to ensure that frequently accessed data can be read from the RAM instead of the hard drive.
How to turn off Superfetch Win 10, 8 and Windows 7
1. Disable from Services
For those of you who do not know, Services is the area that manages all Windows processes. The process here consists of services that Windows can run (network connection, sound, firewall …) or services that other software installed on windows. From services you can manage these services, to turn on unnecessary services to improve the performance of your computer.
Back to articles you need to take steps to turn off Superfetch win 10, 8, 7
- Hold down the Windows key and press the “R” key to open the Run dialog box
- Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
- The Services window is displayed. Find “Superfetch” in the list.
- Right-click on “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.
- Select the “Stop” button if you want to stop the service. In the “Startup type” drop-down menu, select “Disabled” to turn off this feature after starting the computer.
2. Turn on/off service host superfetch by the Registry
- Hold down the Windows key and press the “R” key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “Regedit”, then hit “Enter”.
- The Registry Editor window appears. Move the path to the following location in the Registry. “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM> CurrentControlSet> Control> Session Manager> MemoryManagement> PrefetchParameters”
- On the right side, double click on “EnableSuperfetch”. If this value does not exist, right click on the “PrefetchParameters” folder, then select “New”> “DWORD Value”.
- “EnableSuperfetch” có thể nhận một trong các giá trị sau:
- 0: Disable Superfetch
- 1: Enable fetching before the program is launched
- 2: Prefetch fetch
- 3: Allow to prefectching everything
- Click “OK“.
- Close the Registry Editor.
Note: If you turn off Superfetch and want to enable it for certain applications, you can add a “/prefetch: 1” character after the boot icon of any application like the one above.
3. Should I turn off the service host superfetch?
As stated in the definition, depending on the purpose of your computer you can choose to enable or disable Superfetch. Superfetch is also one of the causes of Full Disk 100% on windows, so you can turn it off if you have not moved the hard drive from the HDD to the SSD. Also, if your computer is just for gaming, you can disable Superfetch to optimize your gaming experience.