Tampermonkey is an extremely powerful extension on web browsers. We will learn together what it is and how to install it.
What is Tampermonkey?
What are Userscripts?
Userscripts are small computer programs made right on your web browser, for example, by adding YouTube download buttons, clearing up your Facebook timeline, or helping you play online games.
Features of Tampermonkey
- Manage and edit userscripts.
- Turn your script on and off with 2 clicks
- Synchronize scripts through Chrome Sync, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- Back up and restore via zip or cloud storage (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive)
- You must first install it from the Chrome Web Store. To install, you should use the latest version of Chrome browser. If you are using an older version of Chrome, you can download another compatible version from Tampermonkey.net.
- From the Tampermonkey page in the Chrome Store, click the blue Add to Chrome button to install the extension. Chrome will ask you to confirm the extension. Click “Add a gadget.”
- Once Tampermonkey has finished installing, you will see a confirmation page from the Tampermonkey website and a popup window confirming that Tampermonkey has been added to Chrome.
When Tampermonkey is installed, installing userscripts from sites that provide userscripts is simple, listing the sites you can view here.
For example on OpenUserJs, just select the userscript to install and then click the blue “Install” button at the top.
Tampermonkey will display a screen showing you where the userscripts are installed, which web sites can access, its source code, and the warning install scripts only from sources you trust. If you want to install the script, click the “Install” button, otherwise click “Cancel”.
Installing userscripts from other sources does the same. You just need to find the install link for the script. This will be a button or link to a file ending in “.user.js”.
After installing an usercript, you will not notice any changes until you visit a site that runs.