Cortana voice assistant in Windows 10 can set reminders, send emails and even engage in witty quotes when you talk to her. But if you are in the US and you want her to have a British accent or speak to you in Chinese? Currently, voice assistants support seven regions – United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany and Spain. You can replace the Cortana language in any of these countries’ native languages in just a few steps.
By default, changing your region will also change the date format used by Windows, the keyboard layout, the title you got from Cortana, and some promotions in the Windows Store. However, if you prefer, you can convert the date and keyboard back to English settings after you make a change to the original region. Here is how to change the language and change the language of Cortana in Windows 10.
1. Navigate to Settings. You can get there by clicking on the Settings icon on the start menu.
2. Click Time and language.
3. Select Region & Language from the left pane.
4. Select a new area from the pull-down menu. According to this text, Cortana is only available in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Spain, Germany and China. If you would like to replace the Cortana language in English, select “United Kingdom”.
5. Click Add a Language in the Subtitle Language.
6. Select the appropriate language. The top-level menu only shows the main language groups, but you will get a specific dialect on the next screen. So, for English English, you choose “English” from this menu.
7. Choose the local dialect for the language. For example, for English, you would select “English (UK)”.
8. Click on the language you just added.
9. Click “Set as default“.
Now, the new language will be at the top of the list.
10. Select the language again and press Options.
11. Click the Download button in “Download language pack” and “Speech“. Wait for both to install. It may take a few minutes and you may have to click again on this button to restart one of them if it provides you with an error message.
12. Click Settings in Speech.
13. Select the new language from the Speech Languages menu.
14. Check “Recognize non-native accents…” That will help improve speech recognition, especially if you are American, but use English in Cortana English.
15. Restart your computer.
Next time you start Cortana, you will be asked to place a voice assistant by naming it, just like every language.