- Missing directories in Gmail service will be replaced by labels. This allows you to organize your inbox clearly. Labels ensure accurate identification of private and official chats. In addition, you mark important messages for later processing.
- What is a label?
- Create labels
- Manage and delete labels
Missing directories in Gmail service will be replaced by labels. This allows you to organize your inbox clearly. Labels ensure accurate identification of private and official chats. In addition, you mark important messages for later processing.
Not only does the label look good in Gmail’s inbox, they are also extremely useful. Because with helpful signs, your mailbox is clear and structured. This allows Gmail to easily distinguish between personal and corporate email. In this article, we’ll show you how to create, manage, and delete labels with Google’s Freemail service.
What is a label?
Gmail does not have the same folder structure as you are using from Microsoft Outlook. To keep track of large mailboxes, sort your messages with labels. Basically, they occupy the functionality of the directories. For example, in Gmail, you organize your conversations into categories like work, vacation, or ads. The fact is that you can assign each e-mail one or more categories.
You can only create new labels for your messages in Gmail through the web interface. Your Android or iOS device then accesses created tags.
- Click Add in the sidebar of your Google Inbox. In the bold “Navigation” menu item, you’ll find the “Manage labels” and “Create new labels” options. First, we want to create a label by clicking “Create a new label” in the bar.
- Then enter the desired name for the label and then click “Create.” The checkbox for “label below” is only worthwhile if you have created multiple labels.
- Also, create a new label directly in your inbox. Just check the box next to an e-mail and click the label icon at the top of the menu. In the popup menu that opens, write the name of the label in the tree line under “Add label.” Then click “Create new“.
Manage and delete labels
- In the page menu, click Manage labels. You will be taken to an overview where you will see both your own and Google’s default system labels. Scroll down to your created labels.
- Here you have different options. You can remove a label by clicking “Delete” or renaming it with the “Edit” button and assigning them to the Category. Note: If you delete a label here, the label disappears in all of your messages. You can also create new labels via the “New Label” button on the left.
- You can also use the appropriate buttons to specify whether your labeled messages will appear in the Inbox or Label List.
- There is an easier way to install your labels quickly and easily. If you have created a few categories, they will appear in the left menu. Now move the mouse over the label, so you can open the settings by clicking on the small arrow on the right.
- If you like, you can also label your labels with color. To do this, move the cursor over the arrow at the “Color label” and select the color. This makes your inbox even more obvious.
Mark email with the label
Generated categories specify your mail in the inbox manually or allow labels to be assigned automatically. To automatically label your conversations, read this article on netzwelt.
- To manually label labels, first mark the e-mail that will be highlighted in your Inbox by checking the box at the front. Optionally, you can also mark multiple messages at once.
- Then, click the label icon above the email and select the label in the drop-down menu. This also works with many tagged messages that will get the same label.
- If you want to label labels with multiple labels, for example, because you want to read promotional emails later, click both checkboxes in front of the label and then “Apply.”
- Optionally, you also mark your email by dragging and dropping. Just drag the label from the left menu with the left mouse button held to the right on any e-mail. This will be labeled immediately.
- When composing a message, you can label it. Click the label button above and select the desired label or create a new label. In the new editor, you can access the labels via the menu at the bottom right.
Create child labels
- As with the directory structure on your computer, you can also group relevant labels by topic. For example, in the “Ads” main category, you can create additional sub-labels with corresponding themes. This will make your inbox clearer. If you have an existing label on the left menu, click the small arrow on the right and then “Add sub-label”.
- This will open a window where you can name your sub-labels.
- If you want to display all e-mails with a specific label, just double-click the corresponding category in the left menu. All emails labeled with the clicked labels are listed on the right side of the screen.
Sorry, you can not create or edit labels in the Gmail app for Android. For all available chats, specify categories on your smartphone.
- Open the Gmail app and go to an email conversation.
- After opening a message, press the menu button in the top right corner. In the menu, select “Change Label”. Now you can choose your current label to use.
- To get an email for a specific label in the Gmail app, click the Gmail icon in the top left corner.
You will then see a list of all available directories. Clicking on the label will display all of the relevant messages in the Gmail app.
- To change the synchronization settings for your folders, click the menu icon in the upper right corner. Then click on “Label Settings” or “Label Manager“. Now you can choose to sync labels on your smartphone and how to be notified of new messages in that folder.